Book Review: The Nesting Place

Tuesday, July 15, 2014


If we know each other in real life, or if you've read my blog for very long, you may know that I'm a little bit obsessed with this whole concept of "home." There is something so spiritual and sacred about creating a place of rest for my loved ones that has whispers of Greater Things to come. The Nesting Place, Written by long-time blogger Myquillyn Smith, this book fleshes out the decorating philosophy that it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful. Because I'm a busy mom of two little girls, I don't have time for perfection. As much as I wish I did, that is something I've actually worked really hard to let go of. Ain't nobody got time for that right? Myquillyn has a house full of boys and yet the pictures of her home are absolutely stunning. One of the biggest things I loved and appreciated about this book was the idea that you don't have to own your home to make it a refuge for your family. She begins the book with a quick recap of the 13- yes, thirteen!- homes she has lived in. Many of them were rentals and because of that, this book is brimming with fantastic ideas for people who are renting or not able to make major changed to their homes. As a fellow renter, those tips and ideas are worth the read alone! 


While I read the e-book version of this book, I happened to get my hands on a hard copy when I was at my sister-in-law's house. The e-book contains all the pictures and pages of the real book, but I have to tell you it absolutely pales in comparison to the hard copy. I am actually contemplating buying the hard copy just to have in my home because it truly is that beautiful. The pictures take you away to another place, while stirring up all kinds of fresh ideas. It was hard to sit still while reading this book because I just wanted to get up and start rearranging furniture! Thinking about decorating your home- or even worse, redecorating- can be a scary thought. But page after page, my courage was built up through the ideas, encouragement and life stories from Myquillyn. And if you are buying a new house or getting married, you better believe this book will be your housewarming gift!

I feel like Myquillyn is my soul sister in so many ways... If I could have anyone redecorate my home, it would be her. (OK, or maybe Candace Olsen.) Of course changing the look and feel of my home won't happen overnight, but now with The Nesting Place, I have a better idea of how to come into a style all my own, something that is welcoming to my family and friends, deeply satisfying and comfortable. It may take me a while to get there, but at least I know what I'm working towards! What Shauna Niequist's "Bread and Wine" was to me last year,  The Nesting Place, is all of that and more to me this year. It has quickly become my favorite book of 2014. It will be nearly impossible to top!

I was given a copy of this book by BookLook Bloggers in exchange for my review. All opinions are my own. I was not required to write a positive review.

You Might Also Like

0 Lovely Words

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to hear from you!