Then and Now

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Can I just say that lately I feel like I've been catapulted into the past... in a good way. At the start of the summer ** oh, disclaimer... this is a totally shallow and meaningless post, so if you're looking for inspiration today... you won't find it from me. But you might get a good laugh or at least reflect on a fond memory** Ok, where was I? Oh yes, at the start of this summer my all time- yes, ALL TIME- favorite band, New Kids on the Block announced their reunion. I was stoked beyond belief... I watched with bated breath their 'secondary' debut on GMA, and screamed with the rest of the almost-30-something year-old women in the audience. I debated in my head over who had aged better, and who I liked the best now... Danny? Donnie? Joe? John? or Jordan? Tough decision, yet to be determined. *sigh*

I remember being 8 or 9 and TOTALLY in love with NKOTB. Kelly Cook and I would sing at the top of our lungs as we jumped off of her bed or swam in her pool during the summer. We woke up early on Saturday mornings to watch the short-lived NKOTB Saturday morning cartoon. And secretly, I envied her Joey MacIntyre sheets and comforter set.
Not only did Kelly have the complete NKOTB bed set, she also had the latest 90210 doll of Brandon. Although Dylan was my main guy on the show, I have to say that Brandon did look pretty good as a doll. I remember the commercial that we'd see during Saturday morning cartoons... a girl bounces up to her locker (fluffy front bangs and teased side ponytail) and says to her friend, "Did you watch 90210 last night?" On cue, both she and her friends open their lockers and pull out their matching 90210 dolls. *sigh* I never had one of those. In fact, by the time I was 'legally' allowed to watch 90210, I was well past the playing-with-dolls stage.


I remember being in high school and working at Aardvark Video. *Sigh* Loved that job. And those people. :-) People whom I still love and will be meeting in Vegas next weekend. But taht's totally beside my point at hand. Where was I again? Oh yeah, Aardvark. We'd get notices of what videos were coming out when and I totally shrieked when I saw that 90210 was coming out on DVD. GREAT news!!!


All that said, you can imagine my delight when the CW network announced the return of a new, hip version of Beverly Hills, 90210 (2.0)... I will most definitely be Ti-Voing that one, and I'm not ashamed to say it. Kelly (Jenny Garth) and Brenda (Shannon Doherty) are said to be returning and its rumored Dylan (Luke Perry) will make an appearance at some point. Oh, and don't forget Aunt Becky (Lori Laughlin) from Full House has a starring role, too. You better believe I'm hooked. I spend a lot of my days being grown up and doing grown up things... sometimes, I just need a break from all that. So thankyou, CW for bringing that to me this Fall. On September 2. This Tuesday. :-) Oh, and I'm downloading my new 90210 ringtone as I write. :-)



You Might Also Like

1 Lovely Words

  1. ok, so while I was never a new kids on the block fan (Guns and Roses were my favourite band when i was 9) I must admit, i used to really like 90210. My mom said i was too young and would never let me watch it. one night she caught me and sent me straight to bed as punishment! oh, i was gutted! Looking back, its funny to think how little I actually understood of the show! it was pretty dirty :) I never knew about those 90210 dolls, but i can invision me wanting one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to hear from you!