q & a brag on my brother

Monday, December 24, 2012

image via

My brother just graduated from University of Chicago, and while we all were together for his graduation, David offered to take us siblings out for dinner.  So with the grandparents in charge of all three Littles, the Hampton sibs and our significant others set out for dinner at an upscale bar-b-que restaurant called "q".

The restaurant itself is simply amazing... oversized photos of hay bales and green pastures light up on white paneled walls.  The rustic wood accents made the place feel cozy & inviting... almost like being back on my grandparents' cattle ranch in Eastern Oklahoma.  Our waiter, Scott (or Scoot, as we tried to call him) was incredible.  Friendly and knowledgable, with awesome facial hair to boot!

image via

image via

image via

We decided to forgo the frozen mint julep (as Scoot told us it was an acquired taste, so best not to order it if we're not familiar with it) and opted for winter lagers and a crisp Riesling instead.  Although in restrospect, I do wish I'd taken him on ordering their specialty cocktail, the Bear Hug (Templeton Rye, Cinnamon Simple Syrup, Lemon juice & Ginger Beer).  Oh, well.  Next time.  Because there will be a next time.

Shortly after being seated, Alfonzo brought two bowls of House-made BBQ Chips and another bowl of house-made sweet bread & butter pickles.  OH MY... these alone are worth a trip to q!  I could not get enough, and was grateful to see that when our first bowls of chips were long gone, two more overflowing bowls of golden fried deliciousness promptly emerged.  They were sprinkled with the same dry rub that the meat was bbq'd with and it was amazing.  The pickles tasted just like the ones my ranching grandma used to pickle straight from her extensive backyard garden.  I have so many great memories of watching Gran boil the jars, carefully fill each one with cucumbers and seasoning, then close the lid and lower them back into the boiling water, waiting for the "pop" of the seal.  These took me right back there!

image via

We started with appetizers- Fried Green Tomatoes and House Bacon Cheddar Hush Puppies.  Oh my.  Despite being my all-time favorite movie, this was my first time tasting Fried Green Tomatoes.  They did not disappoint!  I can't speak much to the Cheddar Hush Puppies, as I'm allergic to cow's milk, but suffice it to say, they were gone before the waiter could remove his hands from the bowl.

image via
  
I was a little concerned, because up until this point, we had not even placed our entree orders!  I thought of most other restaurants that take forever to get your main meal out to you... but never fear!  q is quick to keep the food coming!  Sean & I split the q2 platter... one pulled meat (pork shoulder for us) and a 1/2 slab of ribs or chicken (we got 1/2 slab of the St. Louis ribs).  David & Leila got the St. Louis ribs, and Megan & Eric went for the q2, also choosing the STL ribs and brisket.  For sides, we got cole slaw, Meg & Eric got buttermilk mashed potatoes and David & Leila got Kobe beef baked beans.  They also got a poblano corn muffin, which looked like a huge slice of golden cake!  My slaw was delicious, and the girls said the mashed potatoes were the best they'd ever had.  David's Kobe beans were out of this world, too.  My favorite part of the meal (BBQ aside) was the pickled red onions that came on the side of every plate.  I have a huge soft spot in my heart (er, stomach?) for pickled red onions, as they're a staple my family has been making for years.  These were nothing but fabulous, and dare I say- may rival my Gran's?

image via

The real star, of course, was the bbq.  It was a dry rub bbq, so all the sauces came on the side.  Sean asked Scoot if they had a huge smoker in the back, and he quickly replied, "Yep! You wanna come back and see it?"  I thought Sean was going to pee his pants with excitement!  Scoot warned it was a working kitchen, so be careful, but it was a highlight of their dinner!  Scoot spoke very highly of the restaurant's master-mind chef, Lee Ann Whippen.  She's won numerous awards all over the country for her bbq, and it was indeed excellent!
image via


Sean & I used to live in North Carolina and became huge fans of the vinegar-based style of bbq there.  q has a delicious North Carolina sauce, so we were thrilled when Scoot told us that they had just in the past week begun selling bottles of their famously delectable sauces.  And at very affordable $8, we were quick to snatch up a bottle!
image via

While the food was delicious, what I loved most was spending time with my siblings.  I nearly got misty-eyed when my brother picked up the tab himself.  *sniff* He's getting so big.  Ok, ok... I know he's nearly mid-twenties, a college graduate and getting ready to make a big move to Houston for a big job, but in my mind & heart's eye, he's still 10 years old.  I know he probably hates that, but that's the age he was when I left home and went away to college.  I missed a lot of his growing up years, and didn't get to know a lot of him while he was in high school.  But I am so proud of the young man he has become.  He has a gentle, kind heart and is the hardest worker I know.  He is smart, giving, generous and selfless.  He takes after my dad in many of those qualities, and for that I am so grateful.  I love him and am just so proud of him and beyond blessed to be able to have precious times like this with him.  Thank you, David for a memorable dinner and for being the best little brother a big sister could ask for.





You Might Also Like

0 Lovely Words

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to hear from you!