Passion and Action

Friday, October 23, 2009

This could be a long post, but in my attempt to keep it short, I'll just say a few of the thoughts that have been running through my head.


I firmly believe that God gives us all different passions. And we are each to seek after these passions because somehow, in some way, they all fit into the greater puzzle that is the Big picture of God. Too often, we disregard our passions as dreams, and therefore as anamolies that are most likely unattainable. We may say, "Wouldn't it be great to help the homeless in my community?" Knowing full-well when we say that, that we truly do have a burning passion for the homeless. However, we don't quite know how to do anything about it. So we disregard it as something that would be "nice" to get involved with, but don't really pursue it.

It has been my experience that God places on our hearts people and things that he wants us to feel a passion for. Oftentimes, though, I have wondered how or when I would ever be able to do anything about that passion. In college, through an experience with my roommate and the local pregnancy care center, I developed a passion for women who find themselves hurting after extra- or non-marital sexual experiences. It took several years, but that eventually turned into a fulltime position at the pregnancy care center. That passion for hurting women has continued to grow, and after a 3 year hiatus from actively pursuing my passion, God has once again shown himself faithful, and presented my current position working with women in crisis. And I am so greatful to him for that. I have learned through the years that God will not put something on our hearts that He will not allow us the opportunity to do something about.

But that's where it gets a little tough for me... I want to do it all and I want to do it all right now! (There's my worldly self trying to rush things again!) I am learning that God's timing is perfect, though. Sometimes it is even comically perfect timing. If my life were a sitcom and God were the screenwriter, he would have exquisite comedic timing. As my close friends and family know, Sean and I have a passion for orphans. We have the desire in our heart to adopt, and to advocate for the fatherless. I know that by getting pregnant now, God is telling us this is not the right time to adopt, but I'm kind of baffled by God's timing in that. However, I am excited to see just how perfect that time will be when God does bring it about. Like I said, I don't think he will give you a passion without opportunity for an accompanying course of action. And who knows, loving the fatherless may look like something totally different than Sean and I thought it would when it actually comes to fruition.

Can I tell you another passion I have? I don't know that I have told many people this, so here it is for the entire blog-o-sphere, but I am passionate about helping women on the street. The prostitutes, the night club dancers, the women who are so often overlooked and discarded in our society. Again, I have no idea how this passion is going to become action in my life. I just know that it is there in my heart, waiting and praying for the day God brings it to life. Being downtown 5 days a week now, I see some of these women. They need to be told that they are beautiful and that they have a Father who loves them.

Can I tell you one more cool thing a little bit off subject? At the pregnancy care center just this past month, 31 men and women came to know the Lord! Is that not amazing?!? That is more than came to the Lord at our church this past few months! In September alone... 31 men and women had a life changing encounter with Christ at our center... 31 new brothers and sisters in Christ. We're praying that they will continue in their journey and hook up with our Bible study partners and churches. But isn't that awesome? God is moving and he is working in this city!


You Might Also Like

0 Lovely Words

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to hear from you!