Summer Reading 2011

Friday, July 01, 2011


(Reading Rainbow, anyone?) *grins*

Since we moved to Ohio, I have been trying to read a lot more. Some time after college, or maybe because of college, I used to only read Christian Life type books... you know, the kinds you have to read with a pen and highlighter in hand. I realized that I wasn't really having fun reading those, but I felt guilty for reading fiction! I know, weird. Well, a couple of years ago, I picked up Twilight, and my entire outlook on reading for fun changed. Say what you will about the teeny-bopper Vampire series, but it rekindled my love of easy reading. I am so glad I've rediscovered the joy of picking up a book just for the heck of it! Here's my Summer 2011 reading list of books I've finished so far....

The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels by Ree Drummond- I loved this book... easy to read and of course, she writes her books just like her blog. Her book encapsulates many of the reasons I love Oklahoma and makes me wish I knew a cowboy with a cool ranch.

The Baby Book by Drs. Sears and Sears- I'm continually reading and re-reading this one. :)

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins- I'm hooked! I read this only when I was nursing Gia, and it killed me that it took almost a week to read. Normally I would have finished it in a few hours!

Madame Tussade by Katherine Monahan- This is an author I really like... she writes historical fiction, and wrote several of my favorite Egyptian novels... Nefertiti and The Heretic Queen. This one is about the French Revolution, and while interesting, it wasn't my favorite. But still good.

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen- A great, easy read. I still haven't seen the movie, which was the whole reason I read the book in the first place. I loved envisioning the artistry, costumes and scenery of the circus in the 1920s. Hopefully the movie will be at Redbox soon.

Common Pregnancy Myths by Dr. Smith- This was written by one of my OB/GYNs. Easy read, and very informative. I got it for free as a "Welcome to our practice" gift. :)

sTORI Telling by Tori Spelling- I'm on a pop-culture autobiography kick lately. We've been frequenting the Half Price Book Store, and I got this one for $1. Who can pass that up?

And now, here are the books that are still on my list. Most of them have been purchased already at the 1/2 Price Book Store (Clearance, too!) and are sitting on my shelf!

Mommywood by Tori Spelling- Again, that whole Celebrity Autobiography thing.

Clapton by Eric Clapton- I cannot wait to read this one!

Steven Tyler: Does the Noise In My Head Bother You? by Steven Tyler- I was so excited to find this at the 1/2 price store... I've been looking for it for over a month!!

Chasing Fire
by Suzanne Collins- Gotta finish the series! This is the book I'm currently reading.

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

The Holy Wild by Mark Buchanan- Ok, so this one will definitely require a highlighter in hand, but I love Mark Buchanan's writing. So its worth it.

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

The Physics of the Future by Michio Kaku- I've heard lots of interesting stuff about this one. My dad is currently reading it... The main gist of it is this guy is predicting (based on current research and science) inventions and advances of the future. He gives forecasts for 5 10 and 50 years out (or something like that). Can't wait to get my hands on this one.

DarkFever by Karen Marie Moning- This has kind of gone to the bottom of my list, but I've still heard its a good series.

So.... what are you reading this summer?



You Might Also Like

1 Lovely Words

  1. I'm reading hunger games to, I am addicted, once I read ne I had to go get the others. I'm reading the birth house,breaking dawn,not my daughter and house calls amd hitching posts about a doc who does care for amish people. Happy reading, my children and I just started the wind and the willows.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to hear from you!