He Sings Over Me

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I think that one of the most beautiful gifts God has given us on this earth is the gift of music. Music speaks to my heart in ways that regular words without a melody can. I keep hearing about this song "I Will Carry You" by Selah. All along, I've thought it was a different song that what it really is, so I didn't bother to listen to it or look up the words. Tonight, after reading a friend's blog, I decided, "Ok, what is this song?!"


I knew that one of the members of the Christian group, Selah, had lost a baby. His wife carried their daughter, Audrey Caroline, despite a fatal diagnosis during pregnancy. In fact, I follow HER BLOG (and you should too!). Her blog was the first one I found of someone who had continued a pregnancy after a terrible diagnosis. So for the first time, I listened to this song. Oh my. I know that Selah is technically "singing" this song, but friends, Jesus is singing this song over me. You have to go listen to it. I couldn't find a link to just the song, so I am putting this video on here... it is actually a video made for Audrey Caroline. I'll put the words below it, too so you can follow along... it is absolutely stunning. Oh! And one more thing, its hard to understand at the beginning, but the verse recited by the kids at the end is none other than my favorite verse, Romans 15:13. You may remember that I've written about the meaning this verse has in my life about only, oh... a million times or so. (HERE HERE and HERE just to name a few)



I Will Carry You by Selah

There were photographs I wanted to take
Things I wanted to show you
Sing sweet lullabies, wipe your teary eyes
Who could love you like this?People say that I am brave but i'm not
Truth is i'm barely hanging on
But there's a greater story
Written long before me
Because He loves you like this

So I will carry you
While your heart beats here
Long beyond the empty cradle
Through the coming years
I will carry you
All my life
And I will praise the One who's chosen me
To carry you

Such a short time
Such a long road
All this madness
But I know
That the silence
Has brought me to His voice
And He says

i've shown her photographs of time beginning
Walked her through the parted seas
Angel lullabies, no more teary eyes
Who could love her like this?

I will carry you
While your heart beats here
Long beyond the empty cradle
Through the coming years
I will carry you
All your life
And I will praise the One who's chosen Me
To carry you


Another song I heard tonight was "Voice of Truth" from Casting Crowns. Unlike "I Will Carry You", I have heard this song all the time on the radio. But tonight, for some reason, as it was playing on the radio, it just sung directly to my heart. If you Google "Voice of Truth", the first link that pops up should be lala.com, from which you can play the song. There are several lines in the song that I just love, but the ones I cling to are in the chorus...
the voice of truth, tells me a different story, the voice of truth says 'do not be afraid', the voice of truth says 'this is for my glory', out of all the voices calling out to me, I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth.
There are so many thoughts that run through my head each day. One of the biggest thoughts in my head is fear... I am so fearful of the near future... I don't know what it looks like, how it is going to happen, or how much it is going to hurt. So much fear. But like this song reminds me, and Jesus tells me over and over in his Word... "Do not be afraid!" I need to remember to choose to listen to the voice of truth.... the voice of truth that tells me this is for HIS glory. Its not about me, my pain, my comfort... its for the glory of the kingdom. The bridge in the songs says
"I will soar with the wings of eagles when I stop and listen to the sound of Jesus singing over me..."
So that is what I need to remember to do... listen to the sound of Jesus singing over me. But first I have to STOP to listen... stop the thoughts in my head, stop giving footholds to fear, and listen to the sound of Jesus singing over me.

What does his singing sound like? Here's just a taste of the melodies he's written for me...

For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. (Isaiah 41:13) Moses answered the people, "Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again." (Exodus 14:13) Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. (Deuteronomy 31:6) For God gave us not a spirit of fearfulness; but of power and love and discipline. (2 Timothy 1:7) The Lord is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1) Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. (John 14:27)

You Might Also Like

1 Lovely Words

  1. This post gave me chills. I love to read Angie's blog, too!n She has such a heart for the Lord.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to hear from you!