Questions

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

As I sit here drinking Diet Pepsi, listening to Rich Mullins, and enjoying an overcast day I figured I can't go wrong writing in the blog that I created that my wonderful wife has taken over. Sometimes I simply wonder is there anyone out there like me? Not that I am something special that people should strive to become me (unless you want to eat enough Taco Bell to gain 60 pounds, and let me tell you the promise is a lie) but I wonder does anyone else feel plagued by questions that never seem to be answered. I wonder what the world would be like if each Christian looked into their own heart and asked the tough questions that God is asking us each day. Questions really do haunt people every day. I hate questions right now because spiritually I am not at a place where I can truly distinguish where the questions come from. Do these questions come from my own sinful nature, or is it the Holy Spirit prompting me to action. Questions are so essential to our lives.

People become so wrapped around trying to answer the questions of life, marriage, betrayal, pain, fear, shame, addictions, and so many more without first seeking out what questions God might be asking. I can tell you that I am so guilty of this, of becoming so worried and entangled by my own web of questions that I have to answer for my own life that I am probably missing out on a greater direction from above that God wants to give me.

One of my favorite authors is Henri Nouwen, and he writes about how our lives are not a series of complex problems that need to be solved, but that life is a journey to be taken with Jesus as our friend and guide. Another questions spawns from this thought, what would the Church look like if we all followed Jesus with our whole lives. This question may seem silly to most because most would believe that their lives are being led by Jesus. Silly right? Then why is divorce so high in the Church? Why are there organizations for the homeless, because I find it pretty clear in the Scriptures that God wants His children to look after the homeless? Why are Christians hell bent on killing "those terrorists" as opposed to sending missionaries to show them the true way of God through His son Jesus? By our fruit the world will know who we are, and I am affraid that going down to Michaels and buying the fake stuff and hanging it up is no longer cutting it.

Today I will sit in silence and let Jesus guide me and allow the Holy Spirit to probe me with questions that God has for me. This is difficult because we must open ourselves up to the pain that we have experienced in our lives. We must be humble enough to hear the question that God might ask that will change our lives forever.

You Might Also Like

2 Lovely Words

  1. I honestly hope I never stop questioning... because if I do, I'll think I figured it all out. My finite soul will always question that which is infinite. Sometimes my soul's questions groan so loud that I often want to silence them... and then I realize that the Spirit Himself burdens us to move towards the questions we are asking. One of my favorite authors, Madeleine L'Engle, wrote this... which has often been a comfort to my questioning, doubting, crying heart:

    "Those who believe they believe in God without passion in the heart, without anguish of the mind, without uncertainty, without doubt, and even at times without despair, believe only in the idea of God, and not in God himself."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to hear from you!