Desert Song

Monday, December 28, 2009

A girl sang this song at church this weekend and I think it is so beautiful and SO pertinent...

You can listen to the song HERE

The Desert Song

Verse 1:
This is my prayer in the desert
And all that's within me feels dry
This is my prayer in the hunger in me
My God is a God who provides

Verse 2:
And this is my prayer in the fire
In weakness or trial or pain
There is a faith proved
Of more worth than gold
So refine me Lord through the flames

Chorus:
And I will bring praise
I will bring praise
No weapon forged against me shall remain

I will rejoice
I will declare
God is my victory and He is here

Verse 3:
And this is my prayer in the battle
And triumph is still on it's way
I am a conqueror and co-heir with Christ
So firm on His promise I'll stand

Bridge:
All of my life
In every season
You are still God
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship

Verse 4:
This is my prayer in the harvest
When favor and providence flow
I know I'm filled to be empited again
The seed I've recieved I will sow


For Christmas, I got Sean a couple of books by his favorite author, John Piper. Sean has about 10 books in his reading queue, so I started reading one that of the books I gave him. It is called Spectacular Sins (and their gloabl purpose in the glory of Christ). In true Piper fashion, it has taken me two days just to process the introduction! This is no weak sauce, folks. But I think this book is going to be right up my alley.


All along, I have known and proclaimed that God is still God. God was the same good God on July 31 (the day I found out I was pregnant) as he was on December 31 (the day we got new it was Triploidy). In the past, Sean and I have been personally hurt by the sinful choices of men around us, but have held to the truth that God is ultimately in control. In the sins of other people, though we may be affected, it is easy to know that God is still God.


But when something like this happens, and there is seemingly no one to blame, what then? Do you just consider the pain is a result of sin in general? Or do you blame God? This book is making it abundantly clear that even in the midst of pain and sin, God is still God. And not only that, but God's glory shines through in the aftermath of even the worst sins. Piper, of course, puts it better than me:


"God did not just overcome evil at the cross. He made evil serve the overcoming of evil. He made evil commit suicide in doing its worst evil...the apex of evil achieved the apex of the glory of Christ. The glory of grace." (intro p. 12)


(see what I mean? Not weaksauce, people!)


"It seems to me that Christians in the West are being coddled. We suffer little in the name of Christ. Therefore, we read the Bible not with a desperate hunger for evidences of God's triumph in pain, but with a view to improving our private pleasures." (ouch) "People who don't like Christians are all around us. Only a strange providence keeps our chruches from being bombed. It is only a matter of time till the reality of the rest of the world comes home.... The coddled Western world will sooner or later give way to great affliction. And when it does, whose vision of God will hold? Where are Christians being prepared for great global sorrows?... Christians in the West are weakened by wimpy world views. And wimpy worldviews make wimpy Christians. God is weightless in our lives. He is not terrifyingly magnificent. His sovereignty is secondary (at best) to his sensitivity." (intro p. 13)


"My aim is to show that sin and evil, no matter how spectacular, never nullify the decisive, Christ-exalting purposes of God. No, my aim is more than that. These spectacular sins do not just fail to nullify God's purpose to glorify Christ, the succeed, by God's unfathomable providence, in making his gracious purpose come to pass." (intro p.17)


In the Desert Song, I love the part that says:

I will rejoice! I will declare: God is my victory and he is here!


That's my prayer for this week... blessings to all!



You Might Also Like

0 Lovely Words

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to hear from you!