Hog Apple Baked Beans

Thursday, January 29, 2009

These baked beans are TO DIE FOR.  They are almost more of a casserole, but still go good as a side.  (Even though Sean and I did have them as leftovers for dinner Monday!)  My grandma made them this Thanksgiving, then I just made them on Sunday for a potluck.  You gotta try them... !  I've put my notes/opinions in color, just for some tips and my opinions.

Hog Apple Baked Beans
3 or 4 slices bacon, diced (I put about 5 slices of bacon in mine- hey, I like bacon!)
2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained (some people use 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans) 
1/2 c. BBQ Sauce (Some kind of sweet-spicy favorite) 
1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage (I used a roll of pork sausage and crumbled it up as I cooked... and the serving was a little less than a pound- 12 oz I believe
1 can apple pie filling (chop up the chunks to be little) 
1 medium onion, chopped 
1/2 green pepper, chopped 
1/2 c. brown sugar 
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce 
2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)  
1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)(I put just a few dashes and it still has a little kick) 
1 tsp barbecue rub (don't panic- any kind of BBQ or steak rub seasoning will do)

Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. 


Mix in remaining ingredients. (I dumped everything in a big mixing bowl as it was ready.  That way it all gets mixed up and stuff!)


Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12. 

You Might Also Like

0 Lovely Words

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to hear from you!