It's The Most WOnderful Time... Of the Year!

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Yes, yes, i know what you're thinking... Christmas has already come and gone... isn't that the most wonderful time of the year?  While Christmas is wonderful and I enjoy the good tidings as much as anyone, the most wonderful time of the year will be upon us in just about 6 hours... that's right friends... that is when the nominations for the 81st annual Academy Awards will be announced!  I will no doubt have to crank up my date nights at the movies in order to fit in all of the noms for the top ranked categories.... best actor/actress, supporting actor/actress, and of course, best picture.  I've tried in the past to watch ALL the nominations, and well, between my tight pocketbook and the boring foreign films, I fell slightly short of that goal.  So I'm sticking to the most important ones.  Some flicks I definitely anticipate being on the list are as follows:


-Dark Knight: This one's a shoe-in for Best Actor, but is it possible that it could become the first superhero flick to snag a golden man?  Heath was legendary in that movie, but I'm not sure the movie itself is worthy to be named amongst titles such as The Godfather, Lawrence of Arabia, Casablanca, Gone with the Wind, Titanic, Gladiator, Schindler's List, Braveheart and Crash (which IS my all-time favorite movie EVer)?  I'm not sure... but it is a good one.  It will all depend on who the fellow nominees in this category are.

-Gran Torino: If this makes the list for best picture, it will hands down win, in my opinion.  Though the movie is rough and wordy (read: not for grandma, unless grandma was once a tobacco chewing sailor with the vocabulary to match) the theme of redemptive sacrifice that echoes throughout it is astounding.

There are several that will surely be nominated, I just haven't seen yet... they are:

-Revolutionary Road: Who doesn't love Kate & Leo back together again?  Its surely a more grown up film, but then again, I am more grown up.  (I saw Titanic in theatres 7 times when it debuted during my high school days)

-Doubt: I'm not really looking forward to seeing this one... its one of those weird ones that the academy always chooses because of its laden, underlying political and/or social injustice-type themes.  THat said, however, Philip Seymour Hoffman is spectacular in anything he does.  I'm guessing a nom for him in this.

-Milk: Again, NO desire to see this.  Will only see it if I must.

-Ben Button: I've herd mixed reviews, but am excited to see this one for sure.  Hello= Brad Pit!

-The Reader: A holocaust movie, once again starring the lovely Ms. Winslet.  I love her and everything she does, and I love WW2 history so I am VERY excited for this one.

-The Changling: one word-- Angelina.  

-And finally, last but definitely not least, Slumdog Millionaire: I am predicting an utter and total land slide for this film.  I take back what I said about Gran Torino.... this one could take best pic and stand its own beside the Hepburns and Hestons of the Great Picture realm.

You Might Also Like

1 Lovely Words

  1. I haven't seen any of those! Not that I haven't wanted to. Just haven't been to the movies in AGES. I do really want to see Benjamin Button and Changeling though!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to hear from you!